Play Therapy Interventions for Autistic and Neurodivergent Children
8 Hours Play Therapy Non-Contact Hours Provided by Robert Jason Grant Ed.D (APT Approved Provider #12-318 IBCCES Training Partner #CE159432) NBCC Clock Hours: 8, NBCC ACEP #6595
About this Training
This training focuses on understanding and using play therapy approaches and interventions when working with autistic and neurodivergent children.
You will need internet access to complete this training.
You will need to purchase and read the book Understanding Autism: A Neurodiversity Affirming Guidebook for Children and Teens by Robert Jason Grant
You will also be asked to read through the PowerPoint (this is your training guide), you will also be asked to read articles/readings, watch video clips, and complete experiential activities.
It’s expected that you will complete all the exercises and not skip over any parts of this training. Many of the exercises are referenced on the post exam at the end of the training.
The Autplay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Gran Ed.D is solely responsible for the creation, content, and continuing education hours of each home study training. The AutPlay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Grant Ed.D utilizes Jen Taylor Play Therapy as a hosting site for home study and online trainings. Any technical issue such as not being able to login to a training should be directed to Jen Taylor Play Therapy firstname.lastname@example.org. All governance issues related to any training should be directed to The AutPlay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Grant Ed.D. If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com.
Interventions and approaches! If you are looking for play interventions to use with autistic and neurodivergent children, this is the training for you! This training focuses on play therapy approaches and techniques that work well when addressing mental health needs of autistic and neurodivergent children. A general overview neurodivergence will be provided. How play therapy can be a viable therapy for neurodivergent children is also reviewed. Special considerations in using play therapy and in creating directive techniques will be covered. Several directive play therapy interventions will be explained, special considerations when using play therapy with neurodivergent children will be presented, and strategies for developing play therapy interventions will be discussed. This training is self-paced and includes PowerPoint, video clips, and experiential exercises. The book Understanding Autism: A Neurodiversity Affirming Guidebook for Children and Teens by Robert Jason Grant is required to purchase and read while completing this training.
1) Implement play therapy approaches to address mental health needs of autistic and neurodivergent children and adolescents.
2) Identify evidence supported play therapy approaches for working with neurodivergent children and adolescents.
3) Describe several structured play therapy interventions that can be implemented with autistic and neurodivergent children and adolescents.
4) Describe special considerations when implementing play therapy approaches with autistic and neurodivergent children.
5) Explain how to design a play therapy intervention and playroom set up when implementing play therapy with autistic children.
6) Outline the most common neurodevelopmental disorders as defined by the DSM V.
7) Discuss parent involvement as an evidence based practice when working with autistic children.
8) Identify play therapy approaches that incorporate parents and family members as change agents.
This training is approved for 8 CE Hrs for the below continuing education bodies. Upon completion of the training materials, training evaluation, and post exam (with a score of 80% or higher), the training certificate of completion will be issued to the participant.
- Robert Jason Grant Ed.D APT Approved Provider #12-318 for continuing education. If you are counting this training toward the 150 hours to become an RPT or RPT-S, the 8 hours can be calculated as any combination of 8 toward special topics, 8 toward applicants’ choice, and 2 of the 8 hours can be counted toward seminal or historically significant theories.
- Robert Jason Grant Ed.D Certified Training Partner for IBCCES (International Board for Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards) #CE159432.
- AutPlay Therapy Clinic has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6595. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. AutPlay Therapy Clinic is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Understanding Autism: A Neurodiversity Affirming Guidebook for Children and Teens
Welcome to the CourseFREE PREVIEW
Welcome Video with Dr. Grant
Required Reading: Purchase SeparatelyFREE PREVIEW
Course PrerequisitesFREE PREVIEW
PLAY THERAPY APPROACHES AND INTERVENTIONS FOR AUT AND NEURODIV
Autism and Play Therapy An Overview
Course Evaluation (Required)