This online training is led by Lynn Louise Wonders, LPC, RPT-S, CPCS of Wonders Counseling Services, LLC (APT Approved Provider 12-321) and provides 2 hours of CONTACT play therapy training and 2 NBCC CE hours. There will be a maximum of 40 participants and all participants must have their camera on and name clearly displayed the entire 2 hours, which means your image will be visible to the other participants. Participants will be required to complete the online quiz immediately upon conclusion of the webinar presentation in order to receive credit for contact hours.
This 2 hour live interactive online training webinar teaches a prescriptive play therapy approach to treating selective mutism based on what the research says is most effective in treating young children including a combination of child centered play therapy, lightly structured play therapy and more directive cognitive behavioral play therapy and behavioral play-based interventions based upon the symptom severity measured by observations and reports using behavioral rating scales and interview consultations. This course will meet via Zoom link from 11am Eastern - 1pm Eastern Time. The link to the zoom meeting is provided within the course shell and will be emailed to you 24 hours prior to the live session.
1 hour of seminal theory training and 1 hour of training in play therapy interventions.
Upon completion of this training participants will be prepared to:
- Define the diagnosis of Selective Mutism (SM) according to the DSM-V.
- Explain the variance of symptom severity with SM with regard to demonstrated social skills.
- Summarize what the research literature shows regarding the treatment of SM in young children.
- Name the 3 essential components of the assessment phase of treatment for SM and describe why each are important.
- List the 3 directives for caregivers and teachers when a child is in treatment
- Describe the 4 degrees of symptom severity and name 2 play therapy interventions for each symptom severity presentation.