About This Training
This is a non-contact online/home study training that focuses on learning how to better serve autistic clients primarily through a play therapy process.
You will need internet access to complete this training.
You will be asked to read through the PowerPoint (this is your training guide), you will also be asked to read articles/readings, watch video clips, and complete experiential activities.
It’s expected that you will complete all the exercises and not skip over any parts of this training. Many of the exercises are referenced on the post exam at the end of the training.
The Autplay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Gran Ed.D is solely responsible for the creation, content, and continuing education hours of each home study training. The AutPlay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Grant Ed.D utilizes Jen Taylor Play Therapy as a hosting site for home study and online trainings. Any technical issue such as not being able to login to a training should be directed to Jen Taylor Play Therapy email@example.com. All governance issues related to any training should be directed to The AutPlay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Grant Ed.D. If you have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This training is adapted from the Stars for Autism award winning Autism Friendly Training and focuses on helping play therapists and other mental health professionals understand what autism is and how to interact with autistic clients. This training promotes awareness of the social, sensory, and environmental barriers which affect autistic individuals. Participants will learn how play is affected and play strengths and challenges common with autistic children. Participants will also learn how to set up an autism friendly play therapy room, how to understand and address behavior in the playroom, and issues to consider when implementing play therapy theories with autistic children. Participants will also learn the AutPlay® Therapy protocol for conducting an autism screening. This training is perfect for play therapists and other mental health professionals who are beginning to work with autistic children and needing to gain valuable information for communicating, interacting, and providing mental health care to autistic children.
1) Define how social and communication needs common with autistic children affect the play therapy experience.
2) Explain typical manifestations of autism and what to expect when providing play therapy with children with autism.
3) Define how to complete a play therapy autism screening process.
4) Explain how to use toys and materials in the playroom to best work with autistic children.
5) Describe how to establish a sensory friendly playroom.
6) Explain strategies for managing behavior in play therapy sessions.
This training is approved for 6 CE Hrs for the below continuing education bodies. Upon completion of the training materials, training evaluation, and post exam (with a score of 80% or higher), the training certificate of completion will be issued to the participant.
- Robert Jason Grant Ed.D APT Approved Provider #12-318 for continuing education. If you are counting this training toward the 150 hours to become an RPT or RPT-S, the 6 hours can be calculated as any combination of 6 toward special topics, 6 toward applicants’ choice.
- Robert Jason Grant Ed.D Certified Training Partner for IBCCES (International Board for Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards) #CE159432.
- AutPlay Therapy Clinic has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6595. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. AutPlay Therapy Clinic is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Autism Friendly Play Therapist Powerpoint
Play Approaches that Help Children with Autism Article
Let's Set Some Ground Rules Video
Autism and the Play Therapist Video
Autism and Families Video
Course Evaluation (Required)
$549.00Autism in Play Therapy