Autism and Trauma: AutPlay® Therapy and Beyond
6 Non-Contact Hours approved by Dr. Robert Jason Grant APT Approved Provider #12-318 & IBCCES Training Partner #CE159432 NBCC Clock Hours: 6, NBCC ACEP #6595
About This Training:
This training is a self-paced 6 hour online/home study training focusing on understanding trauma issues with autistic children and adolescents and how to integrate AutPlay Therapy (a play therapy approach) and established trauma protocols to effectively assess and address trauma issues with autistic.
A PDF PowerPoint is provided to follow as a guide for completing this training.
It is expected that you will complete the whole training and not skip over any parts of this training. There is a post exam at the end of the training. You will need access to the internet to complete this training and you will be asked to watch video clips, read additional materials, and complete experiential activities.
The Autplay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Gran Ed.D is solely responsible for the creation, content, and continuing education hours of each home study training. The AutPlay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Grant Ed.D utilizes Jen Taylor Play Therapy as a hosting site for home study and online trainings. Any technical issue such as not being able to login to a training should be directed to Jen Taylor Play Therapy firstname.lastname@example.org. All governance issues related to any training should be directed to The AutPlay Therapy Clinic – Robert Jason Grant Ed.D. If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com.
This training will explore the unique manifestations of trauma in autistic children. How to use AutPlay Therapy (a play therapy approach) to address trauma issues and how to integrate and adapt other evidence-based trauma approaches for autistic children will be covered. Research related to trauma and autism and play therapy and trauma approaches will be highlighted. Trauma will be discussed from two perspectives: a traditional view of trauma impact and autism as a trauma response. Participants will also learn about and engage in experiential play therapy techniques to address trauma issues in autistic children.
1) Identify the AutPlay Therapy three step process to help autistic children who are struggling with trauma issues.
2) List at least two reasons play therapy is appropriate for addressing trauma.
3) Describe at least three play therapy interventions that help autistic children develop regulation ability.
4) Define the five-paradigm process of autism as a trauma response
5) Identify how AutPlay Therapy integrates with established trauma protocols.
6) List at least two play therapy interventions that help autistic children develop emotion identification and expression.
This training is approved for 6 CE Hrs for the below continuing education bodies. Upon completion of the training materials, training evaluation, and post exam (with a score of 80% or higher), the training certificate of completion will be issued to the participant.
- Robert Jason Grant Ed.D APT Approved Provider #12-318 for continuing education. If you are counting this training toward the 150 hours to become an RPT or RPT-S, the 6 hours can be calculated as any combination of 6 toward special topics, 6 toward applicants’ choice.
- Robert Jason Grant Ed.D Certified Training Partner for IBCCES (International Board for Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards) #CE159432.- AutPlay Therapy Clinic has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6595. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. AutPlay Therapy Clinic is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Autism and Trauma: AutPlay Therapy and Beyond Powerpoint (Updated)
Video 1: Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder
Video 2: Autism and Trauma Five Considerations
Video 3: Step Two Techniques
Video 4: An Integrative Approach for Addressing Trauma
Video 5: Case Examples
Article: Playful Strategies to Eliminate Shame within Traumatized Children
Article: Play Therapy and EMDR a Conversation
Article: The Effects of Psychological Trauma on Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders a Research Review
Course Evaluation (Required)