The relationship and connection between therapist and child client is the essential and foundational piece to effective play therapy according to Dr. Garry Landreth and the 8 principles of Virginia Axline. The process of establishing that necessary foundational rapport while allowing for ample opportunity for the therapist to assess and conceptualize the child’s presenting issues and context therein can be achieved effectively with a balance of child-centered play therapy along with facilitative play-based interventions and techniques.
1. Explain the foundational basis of child centered theoretical orientation and meaningful, authentic application.
2. Describe the most recent research that supports empirical establishment of efficacy of child centered play therapy.
3. Name 5 ways play serves as an agent of change and growth in terms of forming and maintaining relationship in the play therapy process.
4. Name 10 elements of the rapport-building process including Axline’s 8 principles of play therapy.
5. List at least 10 ice-breaking and initial assessment play-based techniques to assist in establishing the therapeutic relationship.
Lynn Louise Wonders is a Licensed Professional Counselor, Certified Professional Counselor Supervisor, Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor, early childhood specialist and parenting coach.
She is the founder and director of Wonders Counseling Services, LLC, an APT-Approved Provider for play therapy continuing education offering clinical services, play therapy supervision and training as well as professional mentoring for therapists developing a career in play therapy.
Lynn is certified by Jack Canfield as a coach and trainer, offering seminars, small and large workshops and mastermind programs for therapists and other helping professionals online and in person world-wide.
Lynn leads a large community of play therapists from around the world on Facebook and has assisted well over 1,000 therapists in working toward RPT status and building thriving play therapy private practices.
Lynn has partnered with Jennifer Taylor Play Therapy Services for the delivery and management of this course.