Working with LGBT+ children & teens in the playroom is complex and requires specific considerations and context. Come join us for a 6-hour webinar for APT contact hours to discuss the attributes and complexities of treating LGBT+ clients in the play therapy. From a developmental & play lens, you will learn how sexuality and gender may present in the playroom. We will cover culturally sensitive language, strategies for working with families and considerations for addressing your own bias. We will be joined by 2 panelists, Stephanie Byers, and Lori Haas, LCMFT, two experts in the field. Using case conceptualizations and experiential activities, you will walk away with strategies to implement immediately with LGBT+ clients, family members and caregivers.
- Participants will explain 5 reasons LGBT+ youth may seek mental health and play therapy treatment.
- Participants will analyze & define gender and sexuality through a developmental, historical and play lens.
- Participants will be able to articulate LGBT+ culturally sensitive terms and how this enhances therapeutic rapport in the playroom.
- Participants will demonstrate 5 play therapy interventions specific to LGBT+ clients.
- Participants will acquire 5 strategies and resources to help families & caregivers support the LGBT+ youth in play therapy.
- Participants will learn considerations for challenging personal bias that may get in the way of the therapeutic alliance for LGBT+ clients in play.
Ragan has worked in addictions, foster care and adoptions, private practice, medical social work and psychiatric social work. Currently, Ragan works as a behavior specialist in a public school. She has worked in early childhood, elementary, middle, high school and at an alternative high school setting. She also works part-time for a local non-profit for children with special needs as a Behavior Consultant and also teaches Crisis Intervention classes. Ragan is passionate about school mental health, play therapy and social justice. Outside of work, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends, traveling, mindfulness, reading, running, yoga & healthy living.
Ragan has presented Lego-based play therapy around the country for play therapists and mental health professionals.
APT credits available as listed in the course description are provided by Ragan Synder-Smith, LCSW, RPT-S, APT Approved Provider 19-588. Play therapy credit available to mental health professionals only as listed in each course description. Courses that do not qualify for play therapy credit are clearly listed.
NBCC credits, when available are provided by Jennifer Taylor. Jennifer Taylor has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider ACEP No. 6928. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly marked. Jennifer Taylor is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Jennifer Taylor's NBCC approval is valid through 2/28/2021. Credit is not guaranteed after that date. If you need NBCC credit for this course, please complete the course before 2/28/2021.
Technical support for this course is provided by Jennifer Taylor of Jennifer Taylor Play Therapy Services, LLC.