* If you are NOT a mental health professional, but you are looking for more information on AutPlay certification, please see AutPlay Correspondence Training for Non-Mental Health Professionals here: https://courses.jentaylorplaytherapy.com/courses/autplay-correspondence-training-for-non-mental-health-professionals **
For those pursuing the Registered Play Therapist Credential - This training can count toward 16 hours of the 25 hours in the special topics category, 2 hours can be counted toward seminal play therapy theories or play therapy skills and methods, and hours can count toward applicants choice.
To complete this training, participants are required to read the book AutPlay Therapy for Children and Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum when completing this training. The Book is sold separately and is not provided through this course. Additionally, participants will read through the PowerPoint, complete experiential activities, and need access to YouTube to complete this training
This training focuses on learning the AutPlay® Therapy treatment approach, a play therapy and behavioral therapy based approach to working with children and families affected by autism, dysregulation issues, and other neurodevelopmental disorders. AutPlay Therapy is an integrative family play therapy approach which provides the practitioner with a guided protocol and several interventions to successfully work with children and families affected by developmental disorders. AutPlay has been used to work with children affected by autism, ADHD, Tourette syndrome, social pragmatic communication disorder, intellectual developmental disorder, and various developmental disorders.
An overview of autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders are presented. The tenets of AutPlay Therapy are presented including the six target areas of treatment and the three phases of treatment. Parent training and theoretical underpinnings are highlighted. Intake and assessment protocols are presented with case examples. AutPlay foundations of play therapy and behavioral therapy are covered and several structured play therapy interventions are presented. A thorough review of the AutPlay Follow Me Approach is provided, which explains the AutPlay process for working with children with a more severe impairment (lower functioning abilities). Participants who complete the correspondence training will become Certified AutPlay Therapy Providers.
AutPlay Learning Objectives:
1) Explain autism spectrum disorder and other neurodevelopmental disorders.
2) Describe the components of AutPlay Therapy including: conducting an AutPlay Therapy session, theoretical underpinnings, phases of treatment, assessment and screening instruments, and treatment planning.
3) Describe the three primary and three secondary target areas of treatment in AutPlay Therapy.
4) Identify several structured play therapy interventions to use for addressing target areas.
5) Discuss how to involve parents and other family members in treatment.
6) Describe the AutPlay model of dysregulation
7) Identify play therapy interventions to address dysregulation issues.
8) Implement the AutPlay Follow Me Approach, designed for children with a more severe impairment.
9) Describe how to train parents in implementing AutPlay follow me play times at home.
10) Explain research and evidence based practices in AutPlay Therapy.
11) Outline the theoretical underpinnings of AutPlay, including play therapy models and behavioral therapy.
12) Identify AutPlay interventions to increase experiential knowledge.
Continuing Education for Mental Health Professionals:
16 CE Hrs. This certification is appropriate for Registered Play Therapists, Licensed Counselors, Licensed Social Workers, Licensed Psychologists, School Counselors, Certified Counselors, and other Mental Health Professionals. This training is approved for 16 non-contact CE Hrs by the Association for Play Therapy and IBCCES (Certified Autism Specialist and Autism Certificate Credentials).
Dr. Robert Jason Grant is a licensed Professional Counselor, National Certified Counselor, Registered Play Therapist Supervisor, and Advanced Certified Autism Specialist. He owns and operates the Robert Jason Grant Ed.D AutPlay Therapy Clinic.
Dr. Grant specializes in working with children, adolescents, and families affected by autism spectrum disorder (ASD), ADHD and other neurodevelopmental disorders.
He is the creator of AutPlay® Therapy, an ASD and neurodevelopmental disorders therapy incorporating play therapy, behavioral therapy, and relationship development approaches. He is also a Certified Autism Movement Therapy provider and trained in many established ASD treatment approaches. Dr. Grant is also trained in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Therapy, a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder/trauma related therapy for children and adults.
Dr. Grant is an international speaker and keynote presenter having presented for the American Counseling Association, Association for Play Therapy, American Mental Health Counselors Association, and The World Autism Congress. He is a multi-published author of several articles, book chapters, and books including the following best-selling books:
Understanding ASD, A Workbook for Children and Teens
Let’s Play, A Relationship Skill Building Book Game
Dr. Grant is a founding board member for the non-profit organization Stars for Autism. He is a current board member for the Association for Play Therapy. He is also a part time instructor in the Play Therapy Certificate program at Mid America Nazarene University (MNU). You may contact Dr. Grant to schedule an appointment or inquire about scheduling him to speak at your support group, workshop, or seminar. Feel free to connect with him via his Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts. If you have questions for Dr. Grant you may email him at email@example.com.